ED 205

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Technologies -- B1

. Computer-related technologies in my home are kind of limited when one considers all that is available these days. I own a laptop that is almost four years old (I bought it my freshmen year of college) and although it recently had wireless installed, it isn't working too well in my house. I need to get this looked at, but while I wait, it still has access to dial-up through G.Valley. Also, I can often use my parent's computer. In this way, I am able to use high-speed internet (and their computer is much faster than my laptop, too). My friend Josh, a computer programmer, promises to help guide me in making my laptop the best it can be, but who knows when he will get around to it. I have a cousin, also named Josh, (who is also a computer wonder), that I will probably ask to help me too. He'll most likely come to my aid much more quickly. Anyway, that's about it. Seriously. I mean, we have gaming systems, but no ipods, no mp3 players (besides those on our computers) or blackberrys etc. We have DVD players, but I'm not sure that counts.
. As for my work environment, we don't really have anything of the sort. Then again, I'm in food service. Even our cash register is ancient.
. Teachers used technology mainly with powerpoint, typing papers, and research online. I hope to learn new ways to incorporate technology into the classroom besides things like powerpoints or online scavenger hunts, etc.
. As I wrote on the class forum (group 2), I think educational technologycan be defined by listing the types that are found in a classroom (use of powerpoint, ipods (like G.Valley's French students), the internet and more). I believe, however, that like other kinds of learning approaches, students should have a little bit of everything. In other words, a little audio, a little lecturing, some hands-on, some computer work. The difficult thing is that technological approaches to learning can include so many of the other approaches, it is hard for some to see when technology would be the most efficient method to use in teaching something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home